With the odds stacked against him; he slips in under the radar, unnoticed. Time and again, he's able to deliver results... Her clients stand in awe of her versatility and resourcefulness while the competition eats her dust. Who are these people, MacGyver? -close, they are the esteemed entrepreneur. A rare breed, and most likely the underdog.

I love being the underdog, don't you? More accurately, I really love to be mistaken as the underdog...

Small and medium sized enterprises form the economic backbone of the free world. These people are constantly challenging, and improving their skill sets -They're able to adapt quickly, and love change. The buck stops with them. They're able to deliver almost instant gratification to clients with straight answers right from the source. No committees, no shareholders to appease, no meetings, and most importantly, no consensus required. -only results.

Entrepreneurs have a huge edge over the big boys: Do you have any idea how badly large corporations would love be adaptable as an entrepreneur? It's a powerful position that they try to fake, let me tell you. The 'single point of contact' ideology is desperately sought after, but poorly implemented, all in in a vain attempt to act entrepreneurial. -they would love to care as much as we do. As if any employee really cares that much about SuperMega Corp's customers anyway. Yeah right! We know. -the big boys are slow, unable to adapt, and operate inefficiently as a result. Big companies are constantly trying to figure out how to behave more like an entrepreneur.

The only true edge large corporations have over the entrepreneur is that they can afford to stay in business for years, possibly decades, while loosing money. Now I don't know about you , but I would rather face life in cubical hell than to work hard and loose my money; so they're welcome to keep money-loosing market share as long as they like.

In my very first month of business, I scored a whopping $400 in billable time. That was the sweetest $400 EVER. Words can not describe what it feels like being thanked for doing a great job AND getting paid for it. All thanks to efforts paid for in my own blood, sweat and tears.

Since that first month, I've changed businesses, gone broke, got a 'real job', and made $1,750 in one day. Needless to say, it's a roller coaster ride highlighted by good and the bad along the way. What gives entrepreneurs the conviction to stick to it while others quit just shy of success?

Winston Churchill perhaps put it best in these words:

"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty, —never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy."

I can guarantee you that the more mighty your competitor is, the more opportunities you will find to exploit their weaknesses and shortcomings. My experience is that I flourish dealing with large, complex, multi departmental clients in a way that makes my larger competitors look like an embarrassment. Communication breakdowns, delays and personal conflicts increase exponentially when two large organizations try to work together. Whereas an individual, I can quickly find, and remedy root causes. The only person I need to answer to is me and my client. And all they want to hear is that their problems have been solved.

By far the greatest lesson I've learned along the way is to be proud of who and what I am. In the beginning, I thought projecting a bigger company image was better. All the while I was hiding the single greatest attribute I had to offer: me. No other company in the world can compete because I am an exclusive, one of a kind resource.

Think about how you uniquely add value to your business. The next time you're shaping market position strategy, be sure not to underestimate your value. Not only should you be leveraging your professional skills, but you should also be proud of, and flaunt the number one differentiating resource exclusive to your business -you.

Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never...

-Wayne Doucette

0 comments:

Dynamic Page QR Code

Popular Posts

My LinkedIn PingTag


View My Stats