Here's 2 points to ponder before considering what side of the BC Teacher's union you're on, and if you're willing to pay more taxes to fund a teachers salary increase or not:

1. You don't need a teaching degree to figure out that teachers only work part time jobs: thinking back to my kids school calendar,  I recall that there are between 162~185 days of school per year. School days are 6 hours long. That's an average of 1041 hours per year. The real world works an average of 2080 hours per year...

2. The starting salary of a BC teacher with a bachelors degree therefore works out to about $36 per hour maxing out at ~$56 per hour. Teachers can earn up to ~$68 per hour if they hold  a masters degree...
I hate the new Google Search page. It reminds me of when they brought out the new, 'improved' coke. Maybe Google is just looking  for more free publicity by purposely ruining their own #1 product...  Meanwhile they are creating chaos in my life. Here's why.

I use netbooks and mobile interfaces exclusively. The screen is small, I'm a tech freak and dont use a mouse and rely very little on the trackpad. When I open a page, I need lots of white space to click on so that the page is selected and not a form field or some other element so that I can use the cursor keys to scroll. Secondly, I tab a lot and Google Instant forces me to tab through dozens of main links entries and their tertiary, 'jump-to' sub links whatever their called I forget.

Web designers hear me please: Activate the DOCUMENT on load so that I can scroll with the cursor keys!

Anyway, I was trying Google Instant when it was in Google Labs but found it sucked so I turned it off.

Now and Google Chrome preferences will not save changes when I try to disable Google Instant.

I've found two simple work arounds:

1: Disable JavaScript for your Google search domain and use another browser or Google domain to access services which need JavaScript like gmail, etc.

2. For the time being at least, Google Instant is still beta and can be disabled in mobile view. So use this path for google search:

Use this page to avoid being forced to use Google's STUPID Instant Search. 

Actually, the mobile interface works pretty well, and ironically, Google Instant is kinda nice on the iPhone...

Google, please allow users to disable this feature again - it's a usability nightmare.

In my opinion, Git is a programmers program. It is fast, feature-rich yet intuitive, kind of like Google...there's a new treasure waiting to be found around every corner. The philosophy behind Git appeals to me; there's sure to be a lot to learn by appreciating it's architecture and studying its internals.

One of the few things that bugs me about Git is what happens when you finally realize that you have been committing unnecessary -massive- binaries such as database files and executables -especially if they are modified frequently.

The problem here is that if any single bit changes, the repository must make a new, albeit compressed copy of the whole mess, while of course keeping all previous copies archived for future reference... This situation sees the repository size quickly bloat.  While there are (Git)  methods to undo such mistakes, it's by no means easy or fun to do. At least for myself, I am not proficient enough with Git to fully understand the entire process.

I've been doing a fair bit of compiling lately and have found the output binaries are getting in the way of my workflow -sure there are means to avoid this such as having make files output to /bin directories and then explicitly reference them in a .gitignore file, but that's not practical in my situation.

In Windows environments things are actually a little easier as file extensions are almost always employed and they make filtering a snap. In Linux, however, things are a little trickier...

As such, I've put together a script that employs the file  utility in order to identify file MIME types, filter and then automatically add to them to .gitignore. It can run from within any directory of the repo in order to create per-directory .gitignore files, however executing it from the repo's root to create a top level .gitignore is probably good enough, and more maintainable.

If there's a need, I might implement a recursive maintenance utility, but for now it only deals with a single gitignore within the current working directory.

AutoGit -automatically filter files by their MIME type to avoid binary files, databases and other undesired content types.

Here's a direct link to the AutoGit bash script on GitHub.

$ Save it as a text file named autogit or something else flavorful.
$ chmod +x autogit
$ put it in the root of your git repo OR even better, place it in your PATH somewhere like /usr/share/bin
$ cd /your/git/repo
$ do autogit or ./autogit as appropriate
$ autogit will append the filepaths it found that have been identified and dump a report + git status
$ By default, the MIME types application/x-executable and application/octet-stream are enabled. Edit the script to add/modify desired MIME types.

Picture is of marshland adjacent to Pitt Lake near my place... I originally emailed this post in from my iPhone 4 which looked OK in the mobile version of Blogger, but had weird line breaking going on that I had to later undo from a browser...Just me testing.

Dynamic Page QR Code

Popular Posts

My LinkedIn PingTag

View My Stats